Thursday, November 10, 2005

Long time, no blog

Well, this is our busy time of the year, so despite my best efforts it's been over a week since my last post. But I'll try to make up for it now with a WIP update.

I must say that even though my commute is long, I'm truly grateful for all the time I get to knit (when I can keep my eyes open). Here's my handy dandy commuting kit from last night.

From left to right, the New York Post (best entertainment value for 25 cents), watch cap for Mom's boyfriend, Project "Bluesocks" for little sister.

I started the watch cap back in the spring, but I've been bad about working on it lately. However, now with Christmas looming I'm going to make the effort to get it done. It's a simple 2x2 rib--I should be able to do it in my sleep! And the socks--the heel flaps are just about done. I haven't tried the socks on yet, but will probably do so before I turn the heel, just to make sure they're OK. (Sis and I have about the same shoe size.) Here's a close up photo of them:

I gotta start knitting some lighter colored stuff. I'm really liking the yarn on these, and I've got four balls in red waiting for me after the holidays.

I've been booking along on "pink cable" for my younger niece. The back is done and I'm about half done with the front. (Sorry, I don't have any pictures but will try to post some this weekend.) Little girl + bulky yarn = quick project! I'm going to hold off on assembling both their sweaters because on Sunday, November 20th... drum roll, please... I'm taking a finishing class at The Point! I'm so psyched! They gave us swatching homework to do before the class, which I'm almost done with. Barbara Kerr is teaching the class, and I'm finally going to learn how to do a three-needle bind-off, sleve attachment, and other cool stuff.

Of course, I couldn't let a week go by without purchasing some yarn, too. At lunch yesterday I decided that I just had to buy a skein of laceweight merino for another scarf from Morehouse Farm Merino at their stand in the Union Square Greenmarket.

The market is just two stops away on the L train. So easy to get to during lunch. You understand, don't you? (Please, please play along...)

After a walk through the market, I came away with some apples, a cup of hot cider, and this:

Yeah, I know, that's two skeins. But the colors looked so nice with my new coat! You'd have done the same thing, you know...

Anyway, I'll leave you with this picture from the market. Nothing beats farm fresh produce.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Today's the 230th birthday of the U.S. Marine Corp. My late
father served in the Corp and was a proud Marine.
Semper Fi, Dad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Classes at the Point! Farmer's Markets with yarn! It's a good thing I like you or I'd have to hate you.