Sunday, November 13, 2005

Another weekend out of the office!

Woohoo!!!

Yesterday we had the Living History Association's annual meeting up in Ivoryton, Connecticut. (We meaning the organization that my significant other runs and I'm on the Board of Directors of.) Originally I had planned to take Friday off and stop in some yarn shops before checking in to the hotel. Sadly, I couldn't do that but I did manage to get out a little early and with little traffic on the road (holiday) got up to the hotel around 8pm. And you know what's right across the street from my hotel?


Fabric Place! And you know what's they've got? Yarn!!! Lots of yarn!!! Lots of different brands of yarn! They're yarn department is the equivilant of a LYS. And usually something on sale! So, of course, I had to stop and see what they've got. First off, all needles and hooks were 20% off, so I scored myself some size 0 Brittany DPNs to fill out my needle stash. Then, all the Classic Elite yarns were 20% off, so I started poking around to see if there was anything I needed.

Well, as I'm wondering around the aisles I turned around and suddenly came face to face with this:

YARN CRACK! MALABRIGO! A whole bunch of it! Like, 13 different colors! I didn't know that they carried this! The women in the department told me that they started selling it a couple of months ago, and the first time they put it out they sold it out instantly. (What a shock--not!) Of course, I had to fondle touch it, and that was it. (Classic Elite? What Classic Elite?) It wasn't a question of whether I would buy it, but what I would buy. Here's what came out of the store with me:

This is Stonechat. (I had trouble choosing between this and Dusy Olive.) Isn't she beautiful? Look at her posing some more...

Look at her basking in the morning sunlight...

Ahhh... Malabrigo...


I'm not too crazy obsessed, am I? Jim keeps laughing at me because of how I can't stop fondling caressing touching this yarn. Between you and me, he doesn't get it. Even though I'm making him an arm sock out of this stuff, he still doesn't get it.

Oh--and to make this even better... While I'm walking around, a knitting group that was meeting at the store suddenly swarmed the department. I wound up on the checkout line behind some of them. Well, after I left the store I took a look at my receipt and discovered they had taken 10% off the price of the yarn (which was at a fair price to start)! They must have given the discount to that group and thought I was with them. Score!!!

Anyway, she's going to be arm warmers--either the Morehouse pattern I have or the Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers from Stitch and Bitch Nation. Once the Christmas gift knitting is done, she's going straight to the top of the list.

They had so many other colors... maybe I should pick up some as a Christmas gift for my sister?

Hotel check out is 11am. Fabric Place opens back up at noon. Think I could convince Jim to stop in for just a few minutes?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you get me some malabrigo? Hmmmm? Hmmmm?