Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Staples--that was (not so) easy...

Aside from school work and work work, I've been putting together flyers for Jim for some the LHA's 2008 events. Typesetting and printing them. All four-page flyers, printed on single sheets of 11" by 17" paper. Jim has scheduled a work day on Saturday for people to come up to the house and put together the flyers for mailing--also refered to as a "lick and stick."

The jobs with smaller quantities have been easy enough for me to handle and they've already been shipped to Jim. The big job: 675 copies of the LHA's Time Line event... sigh...

I dropped it off at a Staples near Penn Station at 9:45 this morning. They told me it would be ready by 6:00pm. I would just pick it up, box it, and drop it off at the FedEx place around the corner. Easy, right?

I get to Staples at 6:05pm. They haven't even started the job yet.

Not.Started.The.Job.

They say they don't think they can finish this tonight.

In my head I'm thinking...


Yo, dude... there are no other options. This job has to be dropped off at FedEx by 9pm. I don't care what you have to do to make this happen. Pull this print job out of your a** if you have to. Job must be at FedEx by 9pm. You must finish this job in time for me to do that. End of discussion, printer boy. I'm waiting...

I very politely stated presented that thought to "printer boy." I wasn't budging until that print job was done.

WTF! WTF! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's things like this that will make your head explode if you're not careful.

Fortunately, my issue was promptly addressed by the store manager. After stifling his own panicked response (and muttering something about killing the morning printer dude), he took care of it. Even offered me a chair and a free drink. Was profusely apologetic.

Dude, as long as I make my FedEx drop off time, it's OK. Screw me on the drop off time, you're gonna have a problem.

Seriously, dude--you don't want to screw with someone who carries pointy sticks.

I walked out of staples with my print job by 7:15. Package was dropped off at FedEx by 7:20. I'm on a train by 7:30. All's better with the world.

Now as long as FedEx remembers where the house is...

---------------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

No comments: