Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Socktoberfest wrap-up

I was going to call this "Socktoberfest update," but given that today's the 31st, I figured "wrap-up" is more appropriate.

My goal for Soctoberfest was to finish my pink and blue socks, as well as work on other pairs of socks that are in progress. Not a very ambitious goal, but for me it's enough.

The result: pink and blue socks!


These are technically the second pair I made started, and the first pair that I started for myself. (Jim got the first pair I started.) They're on the baggy side and maybe a little too thick to really wear with shoes, but I absolutely love wearing them. They're comfy and I can't help but just wiggle my feet in them.

Project Details
Pattern: Basic Stockinette Socks from
Knit Socks! by Betsey McCarthy
Yarn: Cascade Sierra (1 pink (15) skein, 1 blue (24) skein),
purchased for 40% off at The Point
Needles: Crystal Palace bamboo DPNs, size 5 (I think)
Started: Summer 2005
Finished: October 21, 2006

I've got enough yarn left to make blue socks with pink toes, but that's a project for another season.

Aside from my goal of finishing the Cascade Sierra socks, my other sockie goal for the month was to continue working on my other socks that are in progress. I haven't started anything new (well, no new socks, at least). So here's what else I've worked on...


I made some progress on the third red sock while on the Elderhostel trip. Here's the sock enjoying the lovely view of the Potomac at Mount Vernon this month.

I also made a little bit of progress on Jim's Austermann Step sock (picture to come), and I've made quite a bit of progress on the second Thuja.

I'm about ready to start the heel flap. But I want you to compare these two legs...

Look at the color pooling. Striping vs. blocking? Not exactly matching. I'm getting flashbacks to the Claudia Handpaint red socks... Definitely fraternal twins, unless... uh... is there some sort of handpainted dyelot curse when it comes to multiple skeins of sock yarn???

I'll have to see how the foot comes out. I do have a third skein. I hope this doesn't call for a third sock. (Memo to self--maybe I should stick to single skein sock yarns.)

And now for something completely different...

I've jumped on the Fetching bandwagon big time! These completed (and frequently worn) ones are mine, another pair (for my mother) are currently on the needles, and a third pair (for my youngest sister) are in the wings. But I digress...

'Tis the end of Socktoberfest. I hope everyone had a fun, productive month!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful stuff, Betty! Everything looks awesome! :o)