Friday, October 13, 2006

Knit-a-little Purl-a-little

Can you hear them needles a-clickin'? We've got some knittin' goin' on here!

My pink and blue Cascade Sierra socks. These are #1 on my "I really want to get these done" list.

Jim's Austermann Step sock. I bought this yarn--what, two weeks ago? Thanks to a little encouragement from Joy, I gauged and cast on that weekend. I've been alternating working on this sock with the pink/blue puppies.

Not a sock! (But it is a really suckie picture--sorry.) This is the Big Sack Sweater from Debbie Stoller's Stitch 'n Bitch. The yarn is Debbie Bliss Merino Chunky that was a Web's closeout--two years ago. The color is really a gorgeous hunter green, not what you're seeing in the picture. (I'll have to photograph it in natural light.) Initially I had trouble trying to decide if I really wanted to have a sweater out of this, so I bought a single ball to swatch it. And then I did something I'd never done before (and haven't done since). I washed the swatch! And not only did the swatch maintain gauge, it softened up so wonderfully that I knew it would be perfect for this sweater!

So this is a project that I've been working on periodically for two years now. It was supposed to be my 2005 St. Patrick's Day sweater. Then is was going to be my 2006 St. Patrick's Day sweater. (Yeah, I'm a little slow, eh?) Normally I just knit a couple of rows before I go to sleep, but now I'm really motivated to get it done so I can wear it. One problem, though--I just finished up a ball of yarn and all the other balls are up at the house in Vermont (to be known from now on a "Moose Mansion"). You see, I bought this yarn during a stay in Vermont and wound up leaving most of the balls in my Vermont stash, just taking home a couple at a time as I needed them. Now that I'm motivated, well... I'm going to have to wait until I get back up there to fetch me some more yarn. Sigh...

OK, one last project--

My bi-weekly knitting group in the office is working on baby caps this month for Save the Children. We're going to finish them up this Tuesday when we meet after work.

There are other projects--the third red sock, Thuja--and there's swatching going on--Fuzzyfeet. Haven't quite decided what's coming with me to Virginia next week, but you can be sure it will be something(s) for da feets!

No comments: