Saturday, October 07, 2006

My sock knitting history

When I signed up for Socktoberfest I didn't realize that there was actually a sort of calendar of things to blog/do/talk about. So, in an effort to get with the program and not fall behind like I did with Project Spectrum and the ABC-Along, I'm going to use the questions Lolly posted to give you a little background about my sock knitting:

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? That's easy--May 2, 2005. At the NE Brigade's Camp of Instruction (NEB COI). And the person who deserves all of the blame credit for inspiring me to attempt sock knitting--Carole! I had been toying with the idea of making Jim a pair of socks for reenacting. I had even brought him to a yarn shop so he could pick the color he wanted. I also knew there was going to be a knitting and crocheting workshop at the NEB COI and I thought that maybe I could learn something about socks. What I had no way of knowing, however, was that I would meet Carole, and that not only would she become a good friend, but she would become (and still is) my biggest inspiration as a sock knitter.

That day my sock knitting consisted of casting on and knitting just a couple of rows of a cuff, but that sock wound up changing my whole knitting focus from sweaters to socks.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? What would you have done differently? Well, since I'm really more of a "process" rather than "product" knitter, I only recently finished that first sock pair--but only because gift knitting and pretty yarn detoured me, and then of course the fact that I made them 2 inches too long and had to unknit and reknit them, and without him there for constant fittings, well...

Jim's soldier socks have traveled well over the last 16 months and are now finished and in Jim's possession. He hasn't spent enough time in the house lately to be wearing them, but I'm guessing once all the Elderhostel's are done and it really gets cold, he'll be wearing the socks. What I would have done differently--not break the yarn to pick up the heel gusset stitches. I didn't know any better. Carole set me straight on that when I worked on my Vesper sock. I would also have been more adamant about making him try on the socks frequently as I got near the toe. (I don't ever want to have to frog/tink dark dark navy blue yarn ever again!

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? Hands down Vesper sock yarn. So soft, such lovely color, and it behaved perfectly on the Addi's. Made me smile while I was working with it. I'm also really loving the Austermann Step yarn right now.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? Haven't tried crocheting socks yet. I've knit them on DPNs (prefer using 4 needles to 3 needles) and Magic Loop, never tried 2 circulars. I love Magic Loop, but I'm not averse to DPNs.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) I've only done your basic heel flap.

How many pairs have you made? Yikes! Shamefully few are in pairs at this point, but over the last month or so I've been finishing stuff so I'm improving on this. Of course, I'm also working on that third red sock...

Let's just say that there are 8 sock projects that exist somewhere between "leg of first sock" to "finished pair."

Whew! Got that in just under the wire for week one.
Next week is review week. Boy, do I have some
sock-related reviews to share with you guys...

1 comment:

Carole Knits said...

Awww, Betty. Thanks for your kind words and including me in your sockstory. I'm honored.