Sunday, October 30, 2005

A Weekend Out of the Office

Greetings from the deck of the Cape Henlopen!

Actually, I’m only writing this on the boat, not posting it from the boat, but please play along.

It seems like it’s been a long time since I’ve had a weekend where I didn’t spend at least one of the days in the office--and bring home a couple of hours worth of work as well. Well, I got to spend this weekend up to Massachusetts!

I started my trip on Saturday morning, originally planning to take the ferry from Orient Point, but I woke up little too late, so I drove around instead. The primary reason for the trip was an event coordinator meeting and a Board meeting on Sunday, but I wanted to spend time with my nieces. So the plan for Saturday was go to my sister’s house and then on to the Wool Patch in Middleboro. (Must visit yarn shops when traveling!)

The ride up I-95 was pretty good, even with all those buses heading up to Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun. Clear weather, pretty foliage along the way.
However, when I was about 20 minutes from my sister’s house that started to change. It got a little spritzy, and before I knew it there was this frozen stuff hitting the windshield. Snow. Making this thud-like sound on the glass. FREAKIN’ SNOW!!!!!

I know, Vermont got hit with a ton of snow last week. I shouldn’t complain. But I’m a Long Island girl. It’s too early for snow. We don’t get snow until maybe January. I’m not ready for snow. (And yes, I drive a Subaru Forester, so this shouldn’t freak me out. But it does.)

Anyway, these big, icy, scattered flakes were melting when they hit the ground, so no biggy. Right? So… I arrive at my sisters’ house, hang out for a bit, and then we put the girls in the car and take off for the Wool Patch, which is only a few miles down the road.

Carole had told me about this shop, so I was anxious to check it out. Located right off I-495, this is a very nice shop. Nice selection and good prices, especially on Cascade 220. I wound up buying just a ball of Rowan Wool Cotton to make some baby socks (I’m trying to be good--really I am), but next time I need some Cascade I’m heading here.

After that we headed back to the house, put a log in the fireplace, and got dinner under way. Oh, and by the way--as the day went on, the snowfall got heavier and heavier. Here’s what it looked like right before dinner:

See the snow on top of that thar roof. Yikes!

When I finally left around 7:30 to drive to my hotel in Milford, there was a good half inch on the ground--and it was still coming down heavy! Amazingly, as I drove up 495, You know how they say if you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes and it’ll change,” that’s exactly what happened as I drove north to my hotel. In the space of a half hour, it went from heavy snow to a snow/rain mix, to heavy rain, and then nothin’. By the time I got to the hotel, there was nothing but a little snow on the grassy areas.

Oh, almost forgot--two exits from the hotel I decided to stop at A.C. Moore for a peak at the yarn. Here’s what I walked out with.

All the yarn was 25% off. I bought two of those (for Christmas gift for other sister), two more in royal blue (for me), and a pair of size 10½ needles.

I’m making headbands for all of us. Yes, this is the same headband that my mother’s making for the other sister. Yes, I’m making one for myself in black. Yes, this is excessive.

So much for being good.

Anyway, I finally arrived at the hotel. I had my heart set on spending some time in the whirlpool, but unfortunately it was out of order, so I got myself a glass of wine, did a little blogging, and called it a night.

Next day, after an extra hour of sleep (sweet!), I went off to the meetings. My unit is running a civil war reenactment at Hildene in Vermont, so this was our chance to promote the event to other reenactors. The best part about this meeting was getting to see some friends I hadn’t seen in ages, including… Carole! And Dale! And Hannah!!!

Carole and I had been e-mailing back and forth during the week about getting together, but the last few e-mails never made it to our inboxes. (Gremlins?) I didn’t know she was going to this meeting too, so it was a nice surprise to see the whole family.

We played show and tell with our knitting projects and generally misbehaved (not too badly, though) in the back of the room during the meeting. The time went all too fast. After the coordinator’s meeting was done, Carole had to leave and I had to wait for the Board meeting to start. I may have to make a trip up there again just so Carole and I can make trouble. And martinis. And knit and spin!

The boat’s starting to make the turn around the Orient Point Lighthouse, so it’s time for me to go. Later!


Anonymous said...

What??? I ask you about your weekend and you mention the snow but not the latest yarn purchases?

You know I have to ogle and fondle that cashmere if you've brought it in to the office....

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you yesterday! We have to get together again very very soon.