- My first (and so far only) trip to Disney World with Jim (2002). It was for a conference that my company was sending me too, and they offered reduced hotel rates for additional night, so he came along. I absolutely loved the Electical Water Pageant on the lake behind the Contemporary Resort. I was running around squealing like a little girl. (Jim was very amused with me.) I also had a blast--and one of the best frozen margarita's ever--in Epcot.
- Seeing Don Henley in concert at SPAC with Punkin, then leaving work early so that we could drive down to Giant Stadium the next day to see Bruce Springsteen, then driving back up to Saratoga that same night (1985).
- Watching the Palace Illumination (not the fireworks filled Grand Illumination) at Colonial Williamsburg, with the Williamsburg Fifes and Drums marching up and down the green (Christmas vacation at Colonial Williamsburg, 2000).
- Hanging out with my high school friends who drove up to Saratoga to visit me. We had a little party on the screened in porch of the trailer I rented on Saratoga Lake (early 80's). Another night we went to Mangino's for dinner. Punkin forgot to take her fork off her salad plate before our waiter cleared it. She didn't realize that her fork was missing when her entree arrived. When she finally did realize it was missing, our waiter disappeared--for a long time. When he finally reaappeared and asked how our meals were, she told him "I wouldn't know. I don't have a fork." Thus began the story of the legendary "Saratoga Fork Quota." (You know, they only have so many forks for the whole town...)
- Deciding to fly down to Miami--having never been there before and not having a hotel reservation--all by myself on the spur of the moment just so that I could see turf racing at Hialeah (winter 1982).
- A weekend trip to a bed and breakfast in Kennebunkport with Jim. We had Dinner at an amazing restaurant near the inn. I had the most wonderful salad with pecans and a Gorgonzola vinaigrette dressing that was to die for! (2002)
- Watching meteor showers at reenactment events held at Hogback Mountain (1995-1997).
- Seeing Niagara Falls for the first time--illuminated, on a crisp cold winter night, without tons of tourists around (1988).
- Taking the cable ferry across Lake Champlain (every year).
- Every time I go up to the Hubbardton Battlefield and look out over the mountains.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Ten on Tuesday -- Favorite Vacation Moments
Even though I'm always traveling around the northeast, I really can't say that I vacation much, so I'm not so sure I can come up with 10 vacation moments. But I guess you can turn any time away from home into a vacation, however short it may be. So, in no particular order, here goes...