Monday, April 06, 2009

March comes in like a lion, goes out... with a layoff?

Yeah, I said layoff. Last Tuesday afternoon I was laid off from my job. Position elimination as a part of cost cutting due to declining revenue. It was unexpected, but not entirely so. I knew that the job I was in could be considered something of a luxury (no direct reports, no hard deliverables), and with so many of the big law firms laying off lawyers and dropping print subscriptions to our products, it really was inevitable that they would start making cuts.

So I've spent the last few days cleaning out my office, gathering my belongings, and--absolutely the worst part--saying goodbye to my friends. Actually losing my job has not been that upsetting. Being unemployed, yes, but the actual job itself--something of a relief. Today I'm turning in my laptop and BlackBerry, and saying my final goodbyes.

Tomorrow I head up to Vermont for a week. I've already started my job search and will spend more time on that. I've got my final two paralegal classes going on, so I can concentrate on doing well there. I actually have several different options career-wise, and I'm pretty excited about that. So, there will be no staying in bed for me--too much to do--but I will now have the time to stop and look around and embrace all the blessings I have. And no more crappy meetings!

And there will be blogging! And knitting! And spinning! And dare I say it--even yarn dying!!!

The last few years on the job have been rough. Jim thinks that ultimately this will probably be the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I have to agree. So I'm off to tie up those loose ends. Be back in a few days...

5 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I think it will be great, too. How about if you actually move to Vermont and get married? LOL

LICraftgal said...

They say everything happens for a reason. Take a few days and just relax!! Now maybe you can come to Paneras on Sundays.

Joanne a/k/a Punkin said...

Now I can corrupt you even more and you can spend severance on roving and a nice spinning wheel. ;)

Rosane said...

Sorry to hear about the layoff, but you have the right attitude. Good luck on the job search. A friend of mine was in a similar situation (different field from yours) and found a comparable job within a month.

Take care,

Rosane.

JessaLu said...

...what Carole said! LOL